Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Fish Market on the Rocks

If you're think TL:DR, in brief...
The more you write, the more likely you’ll make ridiculously bad grammatical/syntax errors or hyperbolic phrases that would make Stephanie Meyer cringe. However, since this blogging venture is as much a personal project towards improving my writing as a means to document my adventure, I hope you guys can trudge through the dribble and get a somewhat interesting perspective on the life of a student travelling and studying abroad. Although I’ve conveniently left out most of the stuff related to studying… I suppose for the sake of completeness I’ll even include the boring stuff like how I spent two hours in the library, and looked for books that don’t exist!
As my American and Japanese roommates were off trying to cast the ring back into Mount Doom, Luigi, Andy and I decided to explore the city a little more and we decided to stop by the Sydney Fish Market, a place that was not only one of the major influences on my decision to return to Sydney but also a place that was recommended to us by a number of locals way back when we went surfing. Look at that not-so-clever bit of foreshadowing! We took a short bus ride into the city, and then took the 15 minute walk down to Pyrmont Rd.
I think this is one of the main reasons anyone should go to Sydney – the amount of affordable, fresh seafood is simply amazing. If you’re a bit of a foodie or are just a reasonable human being, this is definitely worth taking the hike, bus ride or even flight for. We settled on Peter’s, which provided the most affordable option for our gluttonous plans. For about $20 a head, we literally ate way too much food and had to take a 10-20 minute digestion break afterwards. Needless to say, it was awesome. We almost got some amazing looking sashimi, but since we were all about to pass out from happiness, we decided to just settle for what we had. It also gave us an excuse to come back!
Seagull who just kind of hung around and eyed our food greedily.
Andy looking surly as always.Afterwards, despite nearly eating ourselves into oblivion, we walked down to Darling Harbour and took in the sights. We crossed the footbridge and walked into the city. We saw the CN Tower Knockoff Sydney Tower and decided to see how big it actually was. The fact that it was attached to a building made it a little less impressive and even more disturbing was the presence of a revolving restaurant. Despite the obvious token value of visiting the CN Tower Sydney Tower, I’ve been up enough, free standing towers to realize it’s not that exciting.


But otherwise, we walked through the city until we reached The Rocks, apparently (but as one of my professors pointed out, incorrectly thought to be) one of the poorer areas in Sydney’s early history, but like all cities now is home to the swankiest restaurants and hippest bars.
Luigi and his free starbucks drink (Bastard!)
My roommates abroad have now since returned and brought back some awesome pictures of New Zealand that are not only making me pretty jealous of their shenanigans, but also making me pretty excited about going there after the semester is over. Despite not actually having anything planned with regard to New Zealand, I’m pretty stoked to do my own little journey to Middle Earth. While I live a pretty boring life, hopefully I can inject some oomph in between not worrying about assignments and generally being a bum.

Otherwise, I’ll ask (and genuinely want!) an answer to the following question: What did you have for dinner today/yesterday? Feel free to leave the answer on my Facebook wall if commenting here is too much of a hassle. Otherwise, keep on rocking in the free world!

Doot dooda loot doot… doot doot!
Rick

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I'ev been meaning to go to the fish market but haven't gotten to it yet! Which is strange because my favourite food is pretty much anything from the sea (freshwater will do too). I kind of just assumed it would still be out of my price range, but after reading this I'm re-excited to the possibility of eating seafood whilst in Sydney.
    Also, the last blog made me lolzorz in Fisher, very funny writing, possibly made all the more funnier because I can relate fully to everything!
    keep up the awesome blogs, my fellow canadian sydney blogger and future international ultimate beer pong tournament of champions champion.

    ReplyDelete