After waking up at 8:30 – 9:00 am, I usually get myself a bowl of cereal or PB&J. I’m normally greeted by two incredibly optimistic Europeans, the exemplary Sir Andrew and the always friendly Luigi. After poking and prodding me into gastronomic debauchery, I usually end up abandoning the cereal and move onto pancakes, crepes, sausage, or bacon-related shenanigans. After this gets sorted out, I typically look up from my ridiculous breakfast to see Koki looking at me, his face lined with both shame and disappointment, declaring to the assembled crowd (Luigi, Andy and I)…
You fat bastard.
Guilted at my shameful morning, I slink off to the bathroom to scrub off my dishonour and shower in my own self-pity. Upon my return, Koki has typically joined in onto our debased breakfast of champions and is chowing down on some protein of unknown providence, in which case I promptly feel much better about my own lack of culinary morals. I then walk back to my room to swap my PJ’s for a crisp, freshly laundered t-shirt and the pair of jeans I’ve been recycling for the past week. After packing my bag (Ayer’s Truth, Logic and Justification), I pull my iPod, USB memory stick, and my headphones out of my giant, prehistoric sized
I cut through a McCafe (which has free internet, perfect for my poor ass!) and the Prince Albert Hospital, through a loony bin and past a boxing gym where the smell of urinal cakes and stale sweat hang over me like the sickly stench of manliness, punctuated occasionally by grunts and Australian accents. I then walk past the Ovals, where Cricket, Rugby and Australian Rules Football are played, the latter of which makes no sense to anyone, even the players themselves. After walking through a few buildings, including Manning Bar (one of my favourites!) and soliciting more than one baleful stare for photographing this rather mundane walk, I walk up a few stairs and reach the center of campus. To my left, is the magnificent, historic, majestic Quadrangle; a testament to a simpler time where minorities couldn’t go to school and where kangaroos and convicts
I cleverly sneak down to the 1st floor, where I bypass all the other nerds and head off into a room where I can get
After more self-absorbed literary snobbery, I usually panic and realize I just spent about an hour and a half cycling through photos of my friends back home, where I jump back into my work and plough through the rest of my work. Syntax error? Not a problem! With one stroke of my finger, I slam the “delete” key and erase my grammatical transgressions. I chortle heartily at the power of a 130lb (on a good day) boy with a keyboard, before a loud sound startles me and I nearly wet my pants. My cell phone has just received a text. My roommate Jake has decided he wants oysters and sashimi. I oblige him, as not only do I love seafood, but my gluttonous stomach growls with the prospect of terrifyingly fresh, raw oysters. Embarrassed as my neighbours eye me suspiciously, I quickly vacate the computer lab.
After taking the 20 minute walk from Fisher Library, we arrive at the Sydney Fish Market. Since it’s around 3:30 when we get there, most of the shops and fishmongers are already shutting down. Peter’s had limited selection, so we walked over to their neighbours and picked up a dozen oysters and some sashimi to share. For about $12 each, we both had a dozen oysters and a more than reasonable amount of sashimi. Since it was closing time, we also managed to get a mediocre Fish and Chip for about $5, which truthfully I wouldn’t have paid full price for. While seagulls gawked at our feast, we crammed down our delightfully greedy gullets everything in reach. We looked at some pretty delicious looking lobsters, but decided that was for another time.
After buying a few important vital foodstuffs, we hopped onto a bus and arrived back at home, greeted by my now apathetic, exhausted roommates who ask politely, “how was your day?”
A typical day in the life of a Canadian Exchange Student in Sydney
Best,
Rick
Rick
P.S. please don’t take this post particularly seriously. Although the events actually happened, my exaggerated prose should suggest I’m making fun of myself and my mediocre life. Jazzing it up with a few misplaced adjectives shouldn’t change the fact that I literally, have no life. Although… today IS the International Ultimate Beer Pong Champions League tournament. Go Team Canada!
thanks for the publicity! (twist: I make everything up on my blog, nothing is true)
ReplyDeletealso, I have yet to be to the fish market, and sea food is my favourite, so next time you plan on going, give ya boi a shoutskis.
Also, I did not know there only being 5 churches of scientology offices in the world, but T.dot's got one of em too!