Saturday, May 15, 2010

a little too sentimental.

Sorry for the lack of update guys, been caught up with what has been known world-wide by University students as "Death Week" aka the one week where all your profs decide to designate all the assignments due-dates. I'm in the tail end of one now, so don't really have too much to worry about until exams.

When I first met Koki, one thing he told me he missed most about Japan was Ramen. To the unknowing reader, Ramen [Source: Wikipedia]...



Ramen (ラーメン, rāmen, IPA: [ɽa-meɴ] is a Japanese noodle dish that originated in China. It is served in a meat- or fish-based broth, often flavored with soy sauce or miso, and uses toppings such as sliced pork (チャーシュー, chāshū), dried seaweed (海苔, nori), kamaboko, green onions, and occasionally corn. Almost every locality in Japan has its own variation of ramen, from the tonkotsu (pork bone broth) ramen of Kyūshū to the miso ramen of Hokkaidō.

So, being the awesome dude that I am, I asked my uncle (who lived in Sydney about 5 years ago, and the one I stayed with) for the best ramen in Sydney. Although he pointed me to one stop in Artarmon, this was pretty far away from my place. Luckily, my uncle's friend directed me to his favourite ramen shop in Sydney, conveniently in Chinatown.


Koki approved. As soon as we walked in we were bombarded with Japanese culture. Koki felt right at home. Arguably it wasn't as good as in Tokyo. But I guess from this little trip I learned two things.
  1. Little touches like a bowl of noodles, a little care package, anything really that reminds you of home is always most appreciated in a new and unfamiliar place
  2. Australia, I suppose, is best describe as an Asian city full of white people. The fact that the place was rammed with a 50/50 split of both Asians/Caucasians should show how the tastes of everyone here are pretty similar. Otherwise, good food transcends cultural boundaries.

I realize this post is a bit of a copout, but we actually went to Newcastle a few weeks back and I've just been suffering from writer's laze and from Death Week. I think sometime in the next 2-3 days I'll try and do a ridiculous DOUBLE post. Hopefully that'll remind me to keep doing this thing. Taylor Swift and John Mayer are great company in Fisher!


Yesterday Christian, Evan and I hiked up to Pennant Hills to watch the Flyers/Bruins game at our friend Nicole's house. Yes, that's right, even in this god forsaken country they have cable tv that lets people enjoy the wonders that is Hockey. Ridiculous game! Who saw that coming?






Peace in the Middle East,
Rick


P.S. At the risk of losing all street cred, how awesome is that Ke$ha character? Besides her completely over the top music, she seems a little TOO genuine and nice... Taylor Swift + Jack Daniels? I think so.

[Edited] I tried fixing some of the images so they'd expand, but alas it appears they haven't worked. Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment