... what's the point?
Eventually I have to try and figure out what the point of this blog is. There are plenty of far more interesting travel blogs out there... so what is it exactly that I'm trying to do that no one else has done before? Is it going on ridiculous adventures? Sight-seeing? Being a tourist? A cultural journey into the heart of a new and foreign place?
I guess the heart of this little adventure into the blogsphere is a cultural one. I'm probably more interested in seeing how someone, transplanted out of their little comfortable niche that is "life" copes with changing conditions. I could also probably be a bit more honest with what it's like to be away from friends, family and other normal conveniences. Is this all about adaptation, adoption or re-invention? I'm not sure yet... but I suspect the more honest I am here, the easier it'll be for you (my oh so patient and loving readers) to get a sense of this rather personal journey.
To start, for one thing, school sucks. Let me clarify, school work sucks. The actual university life, going to class, reading cool material is awesome. I like learning. But, I'll be frank about school. After taking 2 months off beforehand, and THEN arriving in what could be one of the most slack universities out there, and THEN being forced to do assignments while simultaneously planning ridiculous road trips up the coast... it's not exactly the most conducive student learning environment. Personally I've had both ups and downs in terms of school here (pun?), but the reality is that trying to do everything at once is pretty hard.
I think it might have something to do with the lack of class + realizing everyone in my class doesn't do any work or go to lecture + living in a houseful of really fun people =
And adapt I did! I now frequent the library like it's nobodies business... but only to steal their internet. Work gets done but... I think I work better late at night with my laptop and a cup of tea. You adapt or die. I think that's the mantra for this trip. Between finding a place to stay, trying to meet people, trying to set up life for 4 months, doing school work... it just never really ends. And on top of that, TRYING to fit in all those cool things that people expect you to do while abroad, leads to a bit of a mess. Luckily, I've handed in my last assignment for the year, so all I have left to do is exams and one take-home test. At the same time, I'm IN that work zone.
You know what I'm talking about right? That "writer's high" were after finishing something you feel immediately compelled to continue writing? That might explain why I'm pounding away at my keyboard with the utmost conviction while my roommates are watching Family Guy or actually doing assignments. It's pretty bizarre but I WISH I had an assignment to do right now... this feeling will probably fade in time for exams. *sigh*
Anyways, this was my little digression and delay of an actual real post. I did in fact go to Newcastle a couple weeks ago. The place is pretty beautiful, but I will happily say it was not worth a 4:00am wake up. Although I did find out about feeding sharks near there. I'm going to try and plan a road trip up there and check that business out (Nicole&friends... I'll pay for gas if you want to check that bullshit out?)!
I've also got the Sydney Aquarium to do again, and maybe one more stop at the Fish Market. Oh and another International Beer Pong tournament to host. Possibly do more school things on the side? God I need a desk.
Cheerio,
Rick
Rick
No comments:
Post a Comment